CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 16, 2011

OB/GYN's... best interests of patients or wallets?

So I had my appointment with an OB/GYN this week, and it was... well, to say the least, interesting.
Ever since getting pregnant with Brant, I had always wanted a natural, normal vaginal delivery. The ones you see in movies and tv shows... maybe without all the hitting and screaming at the husband/father part. My hopes dimmed as I was being told Brant was going to be big and how I needed to be induced at 9 days over. Against my better judgement (aka the Spirit telling me to NOT being induced) I was induced and it was a delivery out of anyone's worst nightmare and it ended in an emergency section. And to top it off it was performed by my least favorite OB/GYN by FAR!! After that experience I vowed I would attempt a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesaerean) with my next child.
When I got pregnant with this baby, I contacted the local midwives right away. And while I won't go into detail about that big mess, needless to say I ended up needing to find a doctor/doctors who were willing and supportive of my hopes for a VBAC.
All of the doctors at the clinic I go to have been very supportive and encouraging about a VBAC, but told me I would need to see an OB/GYN to be cleared for a 'trial VBAC', basically meaning "we've checked over the patients history and body and find no reason to let her 'try'". I say 'try' because that's how they make you feel. Sure, go ahead and try but chances are you'll need a repeat section. (Well... I'm here to prove you wrong buddy!)
At the OB/GYN's office I was appalled to find that the previous OB (the one who performed my section, and who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him) had basically gotten all the facts of my L&D wrong in his surgical report. Which give the current OB/GYN the wrong impression of how my first labour went and he judges my chance on that. But of course, who is he going to believe... The woman who was there the entire time or the dweeb who came in a ripped out my kid??
Needless to say, I was given a 65% chance of a successful VBAC, and while that's still a decent chance, he never gave me a chance to explain the situation we had with Brant and any explanation I gave he 'poo poo'd right off the bat. "It's very unlikely his neck got deflected" (Unlikely, but still could happen right?) Thanks to the previous OB, he failed to mention how baby was positioned when he took him out so we may never know why he failed to descend, although I'm 90% sure his neck WAS deflected!
Anyway, the OB didn't seem too encouraging on the VBAC front and mentioned having a repeat section more than enough! It's just hard to stay positive when they really DON'T have the patient and baby's best interest in mind. Sections are a great tool when absolutely needed, but women have been having babies for centuries and our bodies are made for it! And these two OB's are a great example of why the section rate has soared over the last few years. Sections are easier to plan, schedule in, you know how long (typically) it should take to have a baby and because mom needs more drugs, anaesthetic and hospital time, the doctor and hospital are GUARANTEED MORE money! Not that I don't mind supporting my doctor, but sections are NOT always the best choice and it's NOT natural!
Maybe it's a flaw in the education of our doctors, being taught medicine is best, but you think because they put so much energy and years into their education you are getting someone who knows what's best, when really what's best is to (for the most part!!!) let nature takes it's course.
While I'm extremely happy with most of the doctors at my clinic and feel confident that with their help (Not the help of a 'scalpel happy' OB) I will have the best shot at a successful VBAC, I wish that those who put in the extra time, money and years to 'specialize' in their field would be more educated in what's BEST for the patient and not their wallets.



*NOTE: this isn't really a rant, and I'm not aiming this at all doctors. It's just the discovering of an area I had put so much trust in (doctors and the medical profession) has a second agenda and how they don't always have the BEST interest of the patient in mind.

3 comments:

The Stannix's

I just had a friend who had her second baby (a VBAC) at home! It went really well and she loved the experience. I totally believe that you can do it! Can't wait to meet your little one!

Liesel

Did you get a chance to watch Business of Being Born yet? It will give further evidence of your experience so far. I really enjoyed it.

Meghan Anderson

Hey Liesel,
That's what really started this in the first place. While I don't agree with everything they discussed, like home birthing and such, I am finding the Medical Community lacking a little in the L&D department, so quick to jump to interventions. But I've had a good doctor tell me they can't do anything to me without my permission. So I intend on of course listening to them and praying about how we want to proceed. I think Heavenly Father is going to be our biggest asset!!

Post a Comment